Most individuals and even businesses today are engaged in different financial firms and institutions which are managed separately such as bank accounts, credit cards, loans, and even brokerage and investment accounts. With Personal Capital, these financial accounts are gathered in a dashboard to let the clients see the whole financial picture at a glance.
Personal Capital is a financial advisor which creates personal snapshots of balances, charts, income, expenses, budget, savings, investments and other financial analysis data which enable clients to thoroughly understand, review, manage and control over their money. Personal Capital even gives professional financial advice on how to carefully create a plan and manage investments.
The following features are offered by Personal Capital:
Personal Capital was founded by its Chief Executive Officer, Bill Harris. Its product was launched in September 20, 2011. Bill Harris was the former CEO of Paypal and Intuit, the makers of Quicken, Quickbooks and Turbo Tax.
Personal Capital is based in Redwood City California with offices in San Francisco:
726 Main Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
90 New Montgomery Street, Suite 712
San Francisco, CA 94015
In this section, you’ll read how their customers have to say about Personal Capital. The full versions of the review can be read using these links:
"This is an excellent app. I have several bank accounts, several credit card accounts and several investment accounts all updating nicely. This app tracks investments much better than mint, has better asset allocation abilities and is a pleasure to use. The website is also excellent."
— David Scuba Diver
“I've been looking for the perfect financial app to handle all the different investment, banking & retirement accounts. This one handles them all.”
— Long Time Waiting
“I’ve been a user and client of Personal Capital for a few months now and so far it’s been better than I expected. Functionality really is improving quickly, and so far the investment choices they’ve made for me have been smart, well-thought out, and a good way to ride the market without too much risk. Plus I’ve kept an IRA for myself to pick stocks and trade as I see fit!”
“I signed up for Personal Capital. I like the look of it better than Mint (Mint is too graphic based for me, Personal Capital seems to be somewhere in the middle between Mint and an Excel spreadsheet)…”
Personal Capital is not yet a Better Business Bureau accredited business nor does it have a Better Business Bureau rating. However, Personal Capital has been covered in major press releases and awards:
On May 10, 2012, Netbanker announced that Personal Capital is one of FinovateSpring 2012 Best of Show Winners.
“The winners (in alphabetic order):
- BehavioSec for its new security layer based on user typing/swiping patterns
- BillGuard for its card charge dispute platform, BillGuard FI
- Dwolla for its FISync service to enable banks to originate real-time payments
- iQuantifi for its new financial planning & advice tools
- MoneyDesktop for its PFM platform and integrated "deals"
- Personal Capital for its iPhone app and interbank funds transfer
- SoMoLend for its P2P lending platform.”
Investment News on its May 8, 2012 issue had announced that Personal Capital launches iPhone App
“Today you can add a free iPhone application to the list of tools Personal Capital provides its investor clients in managing their financial lives. The most impressive new feature from Personal Capital Corp. is the ability to move money between accounts using the new iPhone application (as well as pay other people, or pay bills).”
Other press releases can be read in “In the News” of Personal Capital.
Personal Capital is still working on its online traffic. It hasan Alexa Global Traffic Rank of 134,704 and a higher Alexa US Rank of 24,298 with 112 sites linking in. It is estimated that 83% of the site’s visitor is in the U.S. with an average of 3.5 unique pages per day. Personal Capital is relatively popular among users in the city of Santa Barbara (where it is ranked #1,478). The site appeals more to users who have higher income. Personal Capital has a lower Google Page Rank of 4 out of 10.
Personal Capital has more than 140 likes on its Facebook page. It has 664 followers and 594 following on its Twitter Account, @PersonalCapital
Personal Capital is still working on its blog. Furthermore, it has created its “In the News” section in the website which highlights the company’s involvement in the news and announcements.
Personal Capital is safe and secure because of the maximum protection it provides to users and clients such as:
- Secure Authentication with two-factor authentication such as verifying password and identifying the computer used. When a person signs in to a different computer, an “out-of-band” verification to email or cellphone is required.
- Firewalls and Perimeter Security are used to monitor suspicious activity.
- Credentials and personal data are encrypted using military-grade encryption algorithms which is 256-bit AES.
- Secured with VeriSign, the leading secure sockets layer (SSL) certificate authority & RSA, one of the largest security companies in the world.
The Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic tells that, “Of the 4 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-08-02, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS29791 (VOXEL), AS14618 (AMAZON).”
For more information, you may refer to this link:
The use of Personal Capital website is free for the following features:
- Financial Portfolio and Dashboard
- iPad, iPhone Browser & Apps
- Universal Checkbook for iPhone (For a limited time, it is still free).
- Objective Investment Advice
- Investment Check-up
- Military Grade Security. However, Premium Services
However, premium services offered for Personalized Portfolio Management have the following Annual Management Fees:
- First $250,000 - 0.95%
- Next $250,000 - 0.90%
- Next $500,000 - 0.85%
- Next $4,000,000 - 0.80%
- Above $5,000,000 - 0.75%
Mint.com, the top competitor of Personal Capital which focuses more on budgeting is also free. They only introduce the new customers to banks and financial institutions who find the best ways and products that offer more savings. These banks and financial institutions, in turn, pay Mint.com for introducing these new customers.
Betterment, on the other hand, which focuses more on the brokerage accounts, is preferable for clients who have less than $100,000 worth of investment, has the following pricing options:
- Annual Fee for Builder is 0.35%; Minimum Balance is $0; Monthly Deposit of $100/month is required
- Annual Fee for Better is 0.25%; Minimum Balance is $10,000; Monthly Deposit is optional
- Annual Fee for Best is 0.15%; Minimum Balance is $100,000; Monthly Deposit is optional
Shipping rates are not applicable for Personal Capital since it can be readily accessible online through Internet Access. The user can work and access anywhere as long as there is an internet connection using a Mac, PC, iPhone and iPad. The user provides his username and password which include identification of computer used to access his Personal Capital Account.
- Client agreement
- Fee Schedule
- Method of payment which the client must authorize before access to the additional services.
Through the execution of the above requirements, the client is bound to accept the cost of service. Personal Capital reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to amend or change its pricing policy for its current services or any additional services it may offer.
- Email email@example.com from the email address associated with his Personal Capital account, indicating “CANCEL” in the subject line of the message.
- After confirming the account owner, accounts, transactions, and login information will be removed from Personal Capital records and such information will only be retained if it is required by law.
Best Available Personal Capital Coupon: